Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Why don't Men Menstruate?

The battle of the sexes - this has long been ongoing; discrimination against each other, the feminist movements, the continuous quest for gender equality. I won't say I'm a hardcore feminist but as a woman, I do believe and would of course want discrimination to end and push for gender equality. However, the long list of man and woman differences make things even more complicated than they already are. These physical, emotional, physiological and behavioural differences affect the roles we play in the society - who cooks, who gets saved first when a boat sinks, who becomes a carpenter, who becomes a secretary. Most of these roles and professions are highly gendered and these are explained by the differences we have compared to the opposite sex.

Yesterday, I battled one of the worst days a woman can ever have - a very painful period. Yes, I'm one of those unfortunate women who suffer from extreme cases of dysmenorrhea. Throwing up, upset stomach, headache, body ache, cramps, name it...I had them all. Needless to say, I was bedridden yesterday next to the only and most important thing in my eyes - my bottle of hot water (hot compress).

Don't get me wrong, this wasn't my first time to experience such. It's happened before that I've become accustomed to popping a pill every time this happens, it's my saviour. Dysmenorrhea never fails to ruin my day because it's always THAT bad. It has sent me home from school, shopping, and almost even ruined my trip to Thailand one time. Good thing my dear old friend 'mefenamic acid' is there to save me. Only this time, I didn't have any.

I endured the pain for a couple more hours after I woke up, and had to physically drag myself to the bathroom countless times trying to get 'comfortable'. It was a horror but my body was just so confused and in so much pain that it just can't tell which part aches more.

That's when I started to think, WHY DON'T MEN MENSTRUATE??? It's so unfair! Incidentally, I'm also in the process of finishing my uni homework on ABORTION. The fact that men can always just turn their backs from the women they have impregnated and assume no responsibility to the repercussions of their actions again just made me think how lucky they are that they don't get to experience the physical and emotional hardships we women experience during our entire course of life. The menstruation, pregnancy, giving birth...all these are women issues, and while men can always play a role in one or some of these...it doesn't make it really any different because they don't get to experience this first-hand...

2 comments:

  1. i agree big time. they have no idea how it all feels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading your Blog . I  have experienced the opening and closing of the heart or spiritual heart and message center. And have been releasing many testimony that have been helpful and still were held in my heart. I have been writing and posting up over this past month and in it's help a lot of people on their health problems and have come greater expressions of love and compassion for myself and others. I found that these past testimony that I have been posting at the time of mine get more attention in these blogs on information about herbal treatment of Dr Itua. I had no idea they were still being hell of sick people around the world till the deep posting  began and they came into awareness.Dr Itua herbal medicine cure my diabetes and my husband's erectile dysfunctions it's help us a lot and we thank Dr Itua very much on his good deeds to us so reason I have been writing about him on every blog I came across with for people with health issue can relate and get well with Dr Itua herbal medicines, Dr Itua can cure Hiv,Herpes,Als,Hepatitis,Cancer,Ms,Menstrual Pain,Parkinson and some other health problem human being can encounter.
    Contact him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com www.drituaherbalcenter.com. Thank you for your love and opened to sharing your knowledge with us all through this blogsite. All my love,

    ReplyDelete